In this session we will also look at toxicology issues relating to deliberate self harm. Other relevant information relating to self harm can be found in the psychiatric topic.
- To manage toxicology presentations in the ED
Recommended pre reading
- Hughes T & Cruickshank J. Adult Emergency Medicine at a Glance. Chichester, West Sussex, UK : John Wiley & Sons, 2011. Chapter 24 Toxicology general principles. Chapter 25 Toxicology: specific poisons.
- Pre-lecutre Quiz: complete online or down load here
Learning Resources - presentations and self directed workbook cases
- Paracetamol toxicity
- Snakebite case series
- Overdose - Approach, Assessment & Management - Dr Kirsty Dunn Oct 2013
Other learning resources - Snakebite
- How to treat snakebite from www.australiandoctor.com.au (free for APHRA reg. doctors)
- Antivenom update from Australian Prescriber.
- Case based discussion on snake bite authored by Dilhani Dona as a part of the ACEM ED Certificate in Emergency Medicine
Other learning resources - Poisoning
- Guidelines for management of paracetamol poisoning
- Safe prescribing of opioids for persistent non cancer pain. Michael McDonough Australian Prescriber Vol35 : No. 1 : February 2012 .