Sepsis and infectious diseases
- To recognize severe sepsis and understand early treatment plans.
- Febrile neutropenia guidelines include early antibiotic administration
- To understand importance of early recognition and treatment of meningococcal disease
Recommended pre reading
- Hughes T & Cruickshank J. Adult Emergency Medicine at a Glance. Chichester, West Sussex, UK : John Wiley & Sons, 2011. Chapter 38 Sepsis. Chapter 3 Shock and intravenous fluids.
- Pre-reading: Chapter 38 Sepsis and review the Sepsis Education presentation
- Pre-lecture Quiz (to be completed prior to the lecture) - download here or complete online
Learning resources - presentations and self directed workbook cases
Other learning resources
- Sepsis toolkit from the NSW Government
- Video re meningococcal disease is available for purchase from http://www.meningococcal.org/ . A preview is embedded below or at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUcWWjjlhQ if you cannot view here