Paediatrics in the ED
- To recognize the seriously ill child
- To manage appropriately common paediatric emergencies, including paediatric oncology issues.
- To manage paediatric oncology patients in consultation with our paediatric unit.
- To develop a safe patient centred approach to paediatric analgesia and sedation.
Recommended Pre reading
- Miall Rudolf & Levene. Paediatrics at a Glance. 3rd edition Chichester, West Sussex, UK : Wiley -Blackwell, 2012.
- Pre-lecture reading - review the above Paediatric Assessment Triangle
- Pre-lecture quiz (to be completed prior to lecture): Download here or complete online
Learning resources - presentations
- Paediatrics in the ED
- Paediatric Fevers
- Diagnosing Meningococcus
- Assessment of the Sick Child
- Paediatric cases
- Paediatric wounds
Other learning resources
- The Royal Children’s clinical guidelines are an excellent resource to look up while working in the Emergency Department.
- Anaphylaxis Action Plan - PDF
- Childhood Fracture Management - RCH clinical guidelines, demonstration videos, x-ray examples and fact sheets.
- EZ IO (Interosseous Needle) Instructions from Brad Sobolewski.
- The Nightmare Neonate: Life Threatening Events in the first Month of Life
- The Critically Ill or Comatose Infant: An Organised Approach