- Oncology – to manage febrile neutropenia correctly
- To identify and manage diabetic emergencies
- To refer appropriately to the medical registrar.
- To manage back pain presentations.
Recommended Pre reading
- Hughes T & Cruickshank J. Adult Emergency Medicine at a Glance. Chichester, West Sussex, UK : John Wiley & Sons, 2011. Chapter 29 Loss of function and independence. Chapter 39 Endocrine emergencies.
- Required Pre-reading: The elderly in the ED, Collapse query cause EMJ 06, An artical from The Gardian: Joe Hockey warns aged pension is in the sights of budget razor gang
- Thoracic and lumbar back pain
- Elderly in the ED:
- Enviromental Emergencies - Part 1
- Enviromental Emergencies - Part 2
- Electrolyte Emergencies - Hyperkalaemia & Hyper/Hyponatremia (2 self-directed tutorials/presentations)
Other learning resources
- Blood gas... easy as... 123
- Good anitcoagulant practice from APS The elderly in the ED a critical review of problems and solutions